BLOGGING FROM THE EMPIRE STATE

Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Cocktail parties just don’t make the cut

Having already partaken in a lengthily school orientation my first year at McGill, I thought I knew what lay in store for me when I arrived at Sciences Po. Clearly, a blatant miscalculation. Gone are the pub-crawls and lewd t-shirts. Instead, Sciences Po provides its incoming students with methodology classes and dignified picnics in the park, not a beer tent in sight. I have spent the last two weeks correcting my past-tense conjugation and learning how to write an essay the “French way”. Call me crazy but in my mind Frosh should come with a plastic mug full of warm Boreal beer, not a ten minute researched oral presentation on the social and political culture of France’s 5th republic.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I completely understand dear. My frosh consisted of pamphlets describing the effects of alcohol poisoning, what to do if someone around you is exhibiting said effects and how to avoid them. In addition I received a mini bottle of anti-bacterial hand sanitizer. Missing was the beer tent, t-shirts with lewd slogans and drunken marching through the streets singing crass songs. Sigh. Montreal is definitely one of a kind.
Love you,

Caro

Profile

My photo
I could tell you all about my wonderful and ridiculous Parisian life, the places I go, the things I do, and the people I see, but that would defeat the purpose wouldn't it? Read and try to imagine. This is my Paris report.