BLOGGING FROM THE EMPIRE STATE

Sunday, September 20, 2009

Dear Diary, Mood: Apathetic


(Never forget to wear your Ray-bans even at night)

The 70’s had hippies, the 80’s had punks, and what do we as millennium children have to show for ourselves? Hipsters that’s what. A hipster is generally an apathetic, flannel clad, Ipod toting, white middle class urbanite who carries moleskin notebooks and tends to teeter on the edge of metrosexuality. As with most whiny predominantly white people movements there really isn’t anything new or different about being a hipster. It’s essentially a re-appropriation of things that were popular during our parent’s era. Obscure electro, spastic dancing, Macbook obsession, and a general distain for mainstream society, are also a few telltale signs.

Now you may wonder how you might identify these individuals from all the other culturally devoid youth of my generation. They won’t sneak up on you, don’t worry; you’ll see their multi colored neon Nike high tops coming from a mile away.

 Now I have nothing personally against this particular demographic but in my mind gold lame backpacks and graphic t-shirts don’t constitute style, just an unhealthy addiction to Urban Outfitters.

Having left the Plateau in Montreal (a hipster hell of my own making), I find myself still facing the daily dilemma of ironic facial hair and oversized BOSE headphones. Hipster culture has gone international.

God save us all.

The European hipster may hail from Berlin instead of Brooklyn, but the fetishization of acid wash and overpriced poly-blend V-necks remains. It appears I’m destined to spend my formative years surrounded by boys wearing pants so tight blood circulation is not even a faint hope let alone a probable possibility.

I may just move to Antarctica……

(Aside: clearly I jest, as I wear plaid proudly while I type this post on my Mac.)

No comments:

Profile

My photo
I could tell you all about my wonderful and ridiculous Parisian life, the places I go, the things I do, and the people I see, but that would defeat the purpose wouldn't it? Read and try to imagine. This is my Paris report.