BLOGGING FROM THE EMPIRE STATE

Monday, September 21, 2009

From one elitist institution to another

Having left my beloved McGill behind, my yearly academic torture will now be administered by Institut d'études politiques de Paris (also colloquially referred to as Sciences Po). Sciences Po is a French Grande école, meaning that unlike a university it is a private institution that is separate from the state. It specializes in training the political elite and is considered one of the most prestigious institutions of higher learning in Europe. There is a hierarchy not just within the Grandes écoles but also within the schools themselves. Sciences Po operates 5 regional campuses in Nancy, Dijon, Menton, etc.. Paris is considered the most desirable, as it is the epicenter of French political culture. Many former presidents such as Jacques Chirac and Sarkozy attended Sciences Po. Upon graduation many students apply to the École Nationale d'Administration and train to become high-ranking civil servants. So essentially it’s just me and about 700 French kids all vying to be the next President of the French Republic. I’m in for an interesting year.

No comments:

Profile

My photo
I could tell you all about my wonderful and ridiculous Parisian life, the places I go, the things I do, and the people I see, but that would defeat the purpose wouldn't it? Read and try to imagine. This is my Paris report.