BLOGGING FROM THE EMPIRE STATE

Monday, March 16, 2009

Breaking out of the bubble (Part 1)

All McGill students will at one point or another admit that they’ve gotten stuck in “the bubble,” the imaginary area that extends from Crescent to St. Laurent. Don’t try to deny it. You know who you are. Not only does this make university life unbelievably dull but it also completely defeats the purpose of living in a dynamic city like Montreal. If a university campus and cheap beer is all you desire, you might as well transfer to Queens. In light of this geographical culture crisis, I’m going to detail a different spot every week outside of “the bubble.” My first pick is: Le Cartet


When the sun eventually shines, take advantage of the quiet morning streets and wander down to the Old Port for brunch at Le Cartet. Le Cartet is half restaurant, half gourmet shop. A light and airy space it, has tall ceilings, walls painted summer-dress white, adorned with stunning black-and-white photos. In the front, artisan breads, homemade jams, and colorful pastas are stacked high up to the ceiling. The dining area is communal, you will be sharing a long wooden table with your neighbor, but that’s part of the fun. The food itself is scrumptious and will certainly satisfy your need for a hearty breakfast after a long night out. One meal will be enough to make you wonder why champagne doesn’t come with your orange juice every morning.

Le Cartet
Old Montreal
106 Rue McGill
Montreal, QC H2Y

No comments:

Profile

My photo
I could tell you all about my wonderful and ridiculous Parisian life, the places I go, the things I do, and the people I see, but that would defeat the purpose wouldn't it? Read and try to imagine. This is my Paris report.