BLOGGING FROM THE EMPIRE STATE

Sunday, November 1, 2009

BOOOOOO


Last night one of my fabulous friends threw a Halloween party to indoctrinate the Europeans into our wonderful "holiday". I never realized that Halloween was a North American phenomenon, mostly because I never really gave it any thought before. But then again, the act of making yourself ugly, wandering around in public, and demanding food from strangers, does not really seem like something that would get the French stamp of approval. Everyone lives in heavily secured apartments and I can't imagine Parisians being particularly inclined to open their padlocked door to someone wearing a gorilla mask.

With the concept of Halloween being rather foreign to the French, last night's subway ride in my multi-colored spandex became a touch awkward. As you can guess, I cheated and chose the most generic white person costume available to me: 80's. Not out of lack of creativity mind you, but more out of a desire to wear anything that was tight and bright. I figured Europeans don't know anything about Halloween anyway so they won't be too disappointed by my banal costume choice.

As I could have predicted most of my French friends turned up looking like their regular hot classy selves. I tried to explain to them that the point of Halloween was to look a: ugly or b: slutty, and that most men fall into the first category and most women into the second. For a women Halloween is perhaps the most precarious night of the year to meet men. It's kind of like choosing an assortment chocolate without the handy dandy guide. It's hard to tell what you're really getting. You may be looking for caramel and end up with coconut. Bleh! Buyers beware.

Last night was lots of fun and today is bound to be one of those perfect lazy Sundays.

I'm off to have a late lunch with the love of my life and then spend the afternoon getting lost in the Louvre.

À bientôt

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh well, next year, I'll go as Cruella, ugly AND slutty.
Amélie

Profile

My photo
I could tell you all about my wonderful and ridiculous Parisian life, the places I go, the things I do, and the people I see, but that would defeat the purpose wouldn't it? Read and try to imagine. This is my Paris report.