BLOGGING FROM THE EMPIRE STATE

Wednesday, May 5, 2010

dinner in Amerrrrrica

Having been in Paris for almost a year now I should have already learned my lesson about “American” restaurants in this city. The French think they have the best chefs in the world and yet I find myself constantly marveling at their ability to screw up a hamburger. If you can’t master ground beef then I’m not sure you should be allowed to call yourself a chef. That said, Paris is chalk full of American-style restaurants, most of which are terrible. There are a few exceptions, one of which is HAND, which stands for Have A Nice Day. With that type of trite cheery sentiment you might be surprised to learn that the owner is an impossibly beautiful French man who always turns out classic comfort food with a cheeky grin and a wink. Hier soir I died of happiness while we munched on mouth-watering bacon burgers and hand cut crispy French fries. For dessert we spoiled ourselves with cupcakes, crumble, and milkshakes. After our decadent meal we lingered until closing chatting with the owner and sipping Côtes du Rhône. I just discovered they do take out. So indulgent. So dangerous.

HAND
39, rue Richelieu
75001

No comments:

Profile

My photo
I could tell you all about my wonderful and ridiculous Parisian life, the places I go, the things I do, and the people I see, but that would defeat the purpose wouldn't it? Read and try to imagine. This is my Paris report.