BLOGGING FROM THE EMPIRE STATE

Wednesday, December 9, 2009

I guess times really are rough


Tavern on the Green is bankrupt and on January 13th all the contents of the opulent restaurant will be put up for auction. All those spectacular Waterford and Baccarat crystal chandeliers, bronze cherubs, and stained glass will be unceremoniously stripped and sold to the highest bidder.

It kind of breaks my heart.

Yes Tavern was a little tacky, and always full of tourists snapping photos in the Spring, but there was also something beautiful and nostalgic about it. I have such fond memories of long strolls with mumsy in central park followed by late lunching in the Crystal Room.

Tavern managed to survived over 70 years in a city where most restaurants don't last a year. It was the original home of ladies who lunch, including Grace Kelly who used to stopped by every time she visited New York.

RIP Tavern

I'll miss you and your plush upholstery.

No comments:

Profile

My photo
I could tell you all about my wonderful and ridiculous Parisian life, the places I go, the things I do, and the people I see, but that would defeat the purpose wouldn't it? Read and try to imagine. This is my Paris report.