BLOGGING FROM THE EMPIRE STATE

Sunday, January 31, 2010

the not so well kept secret

Rose Bakery in Montmartre
cakes by the pound or slice
mini quiches, galette des rois, and sticky cinnamon buns

Rose Bakery is hands down my favorite brunch place of the moment. It seems I'm not alone. Everyone in Paris is nuts for this place so you can definitely expect a line on a lazy Sunday. There are two locations, one in Montmartre and one in the Marais. Montmartre is the original and the one I prefer. Both restaurants are teeny whitewashed spaces where you will undoubtedly end up sitting next to someone impossibly chic (I ate eggs next to the editor of V Magazine last week). The bakery functions as both a restaurant and a take-away joint. At the front, there are boxes of fresh produce crowding the narrow aisle and a glass display of cakes, pastries, and take out offerings. Everything they sell is certified organic and locally grown. (this makes the bakery very popular with the New York fashion set, all of whom seem to be afraid that French food is not "pure" enough for their delicate sensibilities). I'm attempting to try everything on the small but delicious menu. So far, I've had the cheese scones, scrambled eggs with mushrooms and bacon, fluffy pancakes, fresh fruit compote, and the tomato and ham mini quiche. Don't even get me started on dessert...Round individual carrot cakes with the creamiest frosting, slices of lemon orange loaf, chunky brownies, scones, scones, and ummm, more scones! The also have the best drinks, signature house teas and vats of fresh fruit and vegetable juices. Orange, banana, and prune is my favorite but many swear by the tomato or carrot.

Writing this post is making me hungry again....

It's only 5.......

I think I'm going to go make dinner......

Rose Bakery
46 Rue des Martyrs, 75009 (Montmartre)
30 Rue Debelleyme, 75003 (Marais)

No comments:

Profile

My photo
I could tell you all about my wonderful and ridiculous Parisian life, the places I go, the things I do, and the people I see, but that would defeat the purpose wouldn't it? Read and try to imagine. This is my Paris report.