BLOGGING FROM THE EMPIRE STATE

Tuesday, January 19, 2010

paint it black


I have a little bit of a tactile fixation. I like to touch things and have a hard time keeping my hands still. A few weeks ago I had a field day at the Soulages exhibit now showing at Beauborg. Pierre Soulages is a French artist belonging to the Lyrical Abstraction movement who is best know for his black paintings. Gargantuan all black canvases, some which have been scraped smooth and others that look like the paint is freshly squeezed out of the tube, still shiny and wet. The surface of these paintings just begs to be touched. Expos like this prove that art is a full sensory experience not just a visual one.

The lighting and the placement of each work create a different color and effect every time. Complements to the curators who organized this extremely difficult exhibition, such a daunting task.

It's a very large expo but each piece deserves your utmost attention (expect maybe for his earlier work in the beginning. It's interesting to see his progression but most of them just look like Franz Klines).

If you are in Paris this really is one show that you should not miss. No photo or book could ever do his work justice. This is one of those exhibits that you really have to get up close and stick your nose right against the canvas.

I suggest you do so immediately.

No comments:

Profile

My photo
I could tell you all about my wonderful and ridiculous Parisian life, the places I go, the things I do, and the people I see, but that would defeat the purpose wouldn't it? Read and try to imagine. This is my Paris report.