BLOGGING FROM THE EMPIRE STATE

Sunday, January 31, 2010

last and least






My Haute Couture coverage is coming to a close with our favorite Italian house. Valentino is one of the most respected brands in fashion biz. The current designers Maria Grazia Chiuri and Pier Paolo Piccioli turned out a collection this season that is an inordinate departure from the label's signature. Stating the obvious, this collection looks like a sci-fi meld of Rodarte and Hervé Léger. Hot, but not at all Valentino. Stylistic piracy is normal, but I'm distressed as most other critics are that this new direction is a desperate plea for a newer younger clientele and does not necessarily reflect the foundation upon which the house was built. Throwing a few "Valentino red" dresses into the mix will not solve that problem. If designers do want to stretch their wings it's best to do it in a direction that is not completely redundant. This collection is like a 90's prom updo, it's just trying too hard. NEXT.

1 comment:

Maya said...

am i allowed to swear on your blog? in character or not, I FUCKING LOVE THIS LINE.

...and you. bisous, ma cherie.

Profile

My photo
I could tell you all about my wonderful and ridiculous Parisian life, the places I go, the things I do, and the people I see, but that would defeat the purpose wouldn't it? Read and try to imagine. This is my Paris report.